Peracetic Acid (PAA) is a strong oxidant and highly reactive (breaks down quickly) leaving no harmful residues, and is considered environmentally friendly. However, because of PAA’s high reactivity, it is potentially hazardous to anyone who is exposed to it.
Hazards of PAA
- Bleaching of the skin and chemical burns.
- Irritating to the eyes and can lead to permanent damage.
- Irritates the respiratory system; prolonged exposure can produce permanent lung damage or pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs).
Symptoms of PAA exposure:
- Eye Discomfort and Redness
- Shortness of Breath
- Nose Bleeds