December 13, 2016
In ALL hazardous material spills, the primary concern is the protection of personnel. The secondary concern is to confine the contamination, but ONLY if you are specifically trained under 29 CFR 1910.120 to do so.
Your facility should have its own specific cleanup procedure and all personnel handling such material, should have received instruction on that procedure.
- Appropriate PPE should be worn.
- You can use the ChemDAQ SafeCide portable monitor to assess the risk.
- Dilute with water and mop up, or absorb with an inert dry material and place in an appropriate waste disposal container.
- If necessary: Neutralize the residue with a dilute solution of sodium carbonate.
Large Spill: Flammable liquid, Oxidizing material, Organic peroxide.
- Keep away from heat.
- Keep away from sources of ignition.
- Stop leak if without risk.
- Absorb with DRY earth, sand or other non-combustible material.
- Avoid contact with a combustible material (wood, paper, oil, clothing…).
- Keep substance damp using water spray.
- Do not use metal tools or equipment.
- Do not touch spilled material.
- Use water spray to reduce vapors.
- Prevent entry into sewers, basements or confined areas; dike if needed.
- Call for assistance on disposal.
- Neutralize the residue with a dilute solution of sodium carbonate. Be careful that the product is not present at a concentration level above TLV1.
Concerned about Peracetic Acid vapor exposure? Check out this easy solution.